This photo shows Margaret Slater standing outside the newsagent she ran with her husband Jack from about 1930.
The house was built in about 1823, as a date inscribed on the beams in the attic prove. They were known as Lees Cottages in the 1851 census. John (Jack) Russell Slater bought his uncle John William Slater’s house and newsagent’s business, and their daughter Jennie Allan still lives in the family home.
The Slaters were very well-known and respected in the area and served a large population (not only Seaton Burn, but Blagdon, Arcot, Wideopen, Hazelrigg, Dinnington Village, Brunswick, and ‘halfway to Dudley’.