13. The Moor House

Built by George Surtees in 1858 (see the date above the door), the Moor House is now the only public house in a village which once boasted four bars –  the Miners Arms (later the Drift Inn), The Black Bull, the Club, and the Moor House.

Surtees remained at the Moor House until he died in 1887, and may have been responsible for the construction of eight houses near the pub, which were known as Surtees Buildings. The only remaining building can still be seen behind the Moor House.

Surtees is buried, with his wife Jane, in North Gosforth Cemetery.

Comments are closed